Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Book Review

I have read quite a few books on political issues. I just finished one that I have to recommend everyone read. Glen Beck's Common Sense is a great book inspired by a writing of the same name by Thomas Payne.


Common Sense[1] is a pamphlet written by Thomas Paine. It was first published anonymously on January 10, 1776, during the American Revolution. Common Sense was signed "Written by an Englishman", and the pamphlet became an immediate success.[2] In relation to the population of the Colonies at that time, it had the largest sale and circulation of any book in American history. Common Sense presented the American colonists with a powerful argument for independence from British rule at a time when the question of independence was still undecided. Paine wrote and reasoned in a style that common people understood; forgoing the philosophy and Latin references used by Enlightenment era writers, Paine structured Co
mmon Sense like a sermon and relied on Biblical references to make his case to the people.[3] Historian Gordon S. Wood described Common Sense as, “the most incendiary and popular pamphlet of the entire revolutionary era.”


Beck's book examines how we have moved away from the vision the founding fathers had for the United States. He points out how both political parties have become self serving and have put their quest for power above the desires of the people. Although it is a short book, is packed with information as well as insight on how we can take the country back. Before reading this I enjoyed Glenn's radio show, but I wasn't aware of depth of his knowledge of the issues. He has written a couple of other books, which I haven't read, but plan to soon. He also has a follow up book to Common Sense called "Arguing with Idiots" that will examine how we got so far away from our founding values.

2 comments:

Julie said...

That does sound like a book worth reading. I'll definitely check it out at Barnes & Nobles. Found this Washington Post link right here http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/06/12/DI2009061202319.html I liked what he had to say about this person's question: Bluffton, SC: What specific alternatives to Obama's policies do you propose?
Hope you guys are doing well!

The Right View said...

I would also recommend Do the Right Thing by Mike Huckabee.